8 Things That Should Never Go Down Your Garbage Disposal
April 17, 2019
Here are 8 examples of things you should never throw down your garbage disposal.
- Bones and other solid trash. These sorts of things can’t get cut up by the blades and will just spin around with them. Even if they get by, they probably won’t get through the drain pipe.
- Celery and other fibrous foods. The fibrous strings in these foods tend to get caught around the blades.
- Coffee grounds and other sediment foods. While they look like they’ll go down easy, any sort of food that breaks up into sediment can clog up your drain and leave a sludgy mess.
- Egg shells. This one is up for debate. Some say egg shells are totally safe for your disposal, while others say the membrane lining can stick to the sides of the disposal and wrap around the shredder. We’d say err on the side of caution.
- Fruit pits. While you can cut them with enough effort, your garbage disposal’s blades aren’t going to cut it.
- Grease and oils. This stuff might not even make it into your disposal. It’s much more likely that it’ll solidify and clog up your pipes.
- Pasta and rice. These foods expand when exposed to water, even when fully cooked. Putting them down your disposal or drain can cause it to clog when it expands in the pipes.
- Potato peels and other starchy foods. Even if you think you can put them down the drain from time to time, starchy foods will wind up creating a soupy mess in your disposal.
Why trust Fix-It 24/7 with my home’s plumbing?
Service You Can Count On
We came from humble beginnings, having started as just a small family
business. And while we’ve experienced growth, Fix-It 24/7